First of all, this man is known under the pseudonym "Godfather of poker". According to the Bluff magazine in 2006, he was ranked as the most influential person in the world of poker. In 1976 and 1977, Doyle won the WSOP Main Event, with a total of ten trophy bracelets from the world series. Also, this person was the first to earn $1 million by taking part in live tournaments. Over 50 years of constant games against different opponents, Doyle received a unique experience, which he then transferred to the pages of his books.
Brunson's long journey in poker
At the 1976 WSOP, Brunson won the Deuce to Seven tournament with a prize pool of $5,000. In the main event at the 1976 WSOP, he defeated Jesy Aldo and took $200,000 in prize money. The following year, he won the Seven Card Stud Split Event with a $7,000 buy-in, followed by a win in the Main Event with a $10,000 buy-in. He beat out Gary Berland with the same hand as in 1976. Subsequently, the starting hand with a ten and a two is called "Doyle Brunson's hand". This was followed by a win in the seven-card stud tournament in 1978 with a $5,000 buy-in. In 1980, Branson almost beat STU Unger, but the poker genius beat him and took away the opportunity to win a third WSOP bracelet. In the early 2000s, Doyle moves to the Internet and at the age of 70 wins the HORSE tournament. The following year brings him a win at WPT Legends of Poker and a $1.2 million win.
Today, there is not much information about the player's early years. it is known that he was born in 1933 and had two brothers. He attended the University of Texas. Perhaps the "Godfather of poker" set foot on the path of mind games because of a sports injury that forced him to give up a career as a professional basketball player. He also has a daughter and a son who followed his father's example and also took up playing poker. As a result, the father and son opened their own website for learning the card game.
During his University years, back in 1954, Brunson first tried to play a five-card draw and made money on it for a short time. After graduation, the "Godfather of poker" was not afraid to take part in various underground games. At the same time, Doyle met Thomas Preston and Sailor Roberts, with whom he began playing. In the end, all three played from the same combined bankroll. After a short forced break due to cancer treatment, their first trip together to Las Vegas was not successful, the poker players lost a six-figure sum. After that, they stopped cooperating, but still remained friends. After a brief period of reflection, Brunson and his family move to Nevada, since at that time the state law was loyal to the game of poker.
Doyle's success and legacy
Black Friday is the day when the online poker market in the United States was completely immobilized due to the blocking of the four largest poker rooms. The Federal Bureau of investigation has accused PokerStars, UltimateBet, FullTilt Poker and Absolute Poker Poker of violating the UIGEA law. Those who held senior positions were arrested, and the Bank accounts of poker rooms were also blocked. The result was a complete restriction of US citizens ' access to online poker in the country.
As of this year, the amount of money earned by him for all time is $80 million. It is also known that in 2004, the Doyles Room poker room was created, which originally existed in the Tribeca poker network (now part of Playtech iPoker). This poker room started working under the license of Curacao. The Doyles Room had the following game options: Badugi, Texas hold'em, Omaha, and seven-card stud. After the events of Black Friday, Doyle Brunson stopped working with Doyles Room, which was acquired by Americas Cardroom in October 2011.
Doyle's most famous books include:
- "Poker Wisdom of a Champion". Here the reader will find information about Doyle's early career. The book contains anecdotes, practical tips and different approaches to playing the game.
- "Super System. A course in power poker". The guide provides a variety of techniques for several types of gambling. The work tells about the rules of card games, techniques, and also provides an example of the history of the author's life.
- "My 50 Most Memorable Hands". Here you can find the most memorable poker player's hands during his career. The book is of particular interest to fans of no-limit hold'em, as it contains professional recommendations. The author explains what guided him when he made certain moves.
- "The Godfather of Poker". A kind of autobiography, where the reader learns about the difficult path of a poker player who survived cancer, showdowns with gangsters, big losses, and major victories.
- "Online Poker: Your Guide to Playing Online Poker Safely & Winning Money". Here Doyle shares his experience of playing poker in cyberspace. Ten chapters tell the reader the main and most effective strategies in online poker.